Covid 19 laser cut face shield

The dxf is the one you downloaded, can you now open it?

1 Like

Its not opening, but I downloaded this one. https://community.andmirrors.co.uk/uploads/default/original/1X/055e1b092cffcf547533520fb12999cea79d44fa.dxf

1 Like

Hi folks, I made the design slightly smaller so itā€™s a3 then added a few more on the adjustable strap for smaller medics as it was too big for both of us in the workshop. Because it was a3 we have used folder covers as thatā€™s all we had. Made 80 on the first run and back in this week to produce more. We are trailing using a baby steriliser to sterilise the components of the headband. Will let you know how test go! Not just whether it will strink or curl.
Keep going! Fiee
Ps. Iā€™ll put the a3 version on if anyone is interested. And those asking about 2d designā€¦if you have illustrator it will read the files the smoke and mirrors guys have provided and it can be copied and pasted into 2dimage

2 Likes

Itā€™s fantastic to see this smaller design. If you DO make a file please ensure itā€™s marked SMALLER or something similar. The best universal file format for sharing laser work is DXF.

Thanks

Will do smokey. Just waiting for schools remote access to start working. Also remember to keep yourselves safe out there when making. We are alternating staff and only working in teams of two when in producing.

1 Like

Great news guys, this design was approved by our local NHS Health board yesterday - Hywel Dda Health Board in West Wales.
A few schools have got together to make them, and from last Friday to Yesterday weā€™ve made about 600. Weā€™re now waiting for more materials and aiming for another 2000+ by next week.

Quote from the Lead Medical Engineer - ā€œBrilliant Design!ā€

3 Likes

thatā€™s nice feedback.

We knocked out our first 225 today. :smiley: :+1: :+1: :+1:
Worked out our teething problems in the morning and by the afternoon we had a real slick production line in operation.

If it applies to anyone I think the whole NE of England has a central co-ordinator for distribution of these within the NHS.
If it applies to anyone reading and producing, if anyone want the contact, send me a direct message.

1 Like

Maybe if people could DM for details from you @phillw, just click your name and you can send a message.

1 Like

Hi - well done for leading on this Dominic. We have had the design evaluated by S. Warwickshire NHS procurement and they want the face shields thicker than 0.1mm and a foam strip added in contact with the forehead. A second test batch is going out tomorrow.

Iā€™ve been asked to write an Indemnity/Waiver form. The NHS says theyā€™ll sign one. Has anyone else produced one yet?

Jack at FabLab Coventry.

1 Like

There was someone in the thread talking about that. I think asking for something like that when weā€™re giving them away free is kind of weird. I donā€™t see these as anything but a totally ad-hoc solution, but some administrators insist on treating volunteers like theyā€™re 3M.

Foam holds germs, the PP strip is very comfortable to wear, to me a foam part would be pointless wasteful and costly but hey-ho. They probably want it because that what the official NHS ones had before they ran out.

The shields Iā€™ve been making at 200-240 microns which is 0.2 to 0.24mm.

While youā€™re waiting for that batch to cut, or your next PP to arrive, check this out:

Inspiring stuff - really next level.

Iā€™m sorry if I was ā€˜that guyā€™ a little bitā€¦

1 Like

@phillw When you say NE, do you know if that includes Yorkshire? Iā€™m in Bradford and trying to track down if anyone is coordinating anything.

Just coming off a cold myself so Iā€™ve been a bit tardy in getting up to speed on this, but Iā€™m trying to get my ducks in a row.

Will check and get back to you!

Watch this space!

Iā€™ve just been looking at the v0.5 design looking to lay it out to optimize cuts for my machine and I noticed that the short forehead part is slightly off square. Iā€™m assuming this is just an insignificant error, but before I correct it, I just wanted to make sure itā€™s not intentional for some reason I donā€™t understand.

Hi Fiona23 do you have the a3 version of the masks in CDR format?
Also what settings do you use for the laser?

Hi fiona. The A3 folder covers are all we have too. Were they flexible enough?

Just an error it doesnā€™t matter if you correct it or not, the shield will function the same.

I think @Bluestorm and @Fiona23 are referring to a cutting file that will fit on an A3 sized laser cutter, rather than an A3 folder cover, which I would guess can carefully be halved into 2 face shields.

everyone here should watch this. Note that a big problem with the 3D printed version is that even very high quality 3D prints have a lot of places in them for germs to hide. As the PP laser cut material doesnā€™t really have that, a good wipe down with FLASH liquid and hot water, will do the same job as the bleaching and 45 minutes of soaking and then air drying in this video.

1 Like