Covid 19 laser cut face shield

we DO need to name those parts don’t we.

Ah, not really no. They’re very heavy so hard to get hold of at a reasonable cost. On some machines they’re just not very good. If it can be removed and you have a knife bed then use that. If you’re feeling inventive you can find another way to evenly raise the work off the bed… like lots of 6inch nails painted black or something. If you can remove it (for cleaning) use oven cleaner (wear gloves) and a BBQ cleaning wire brush (not as abrasive as a normal woodwork type wire brush), or a steam cleaners and AutoGlym Machine and Engine cleaner and lots of elbow grease. Make sure it’s properly dry after or it will rust.

screen
(H) headband - the bit that sits on your head
(S) spacer - the bit that keeps the screen out of the way of goggles/glasses
(A) adjuster band? the bit that you tighten it up with at the back

:man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Love it! That’s good enough for me. We need a diagram. Oh what about the shield bit, can’t have another S.

On our Trotec Speedy 300 it was power: 100 speed: 4.5 Freq: 1000

2 Likes

V for visor (and victory, as Matt Hancock likes his wartime metaphors!)
Mask B - Cut from 3 sheets gives 60 sets of the parts.

Yay!
I just earned myself a glass of finest chateau ‘whatever was left in the shop’.

Happy Friday boys and girls and thanks for all the input / great ideas.

Stay healthy
Phill

link to files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxmhjrl2uwmom32/AACmCBmBgEDjFYhfojYVIF6Ya?dl=0

1 Like

I’m taking a bit of a break over the next two days on the forum and questions (will carry on making PPE). I’m actually out fixing a laser cutter on Monday, but will keep my eye on things. Many of you here have been helping each other, and I’m very grateful of that. Please all keep up the good work and help each other out on this community!

don’t forget to post your pics on Instagram

twitter
https://twitter.com/tweetsnmirrors

and we’re on Facebook too of course

Good luck and stay healthy

Dominic (aka Smokey at Smoke & Mirrors)

1 Like

Hey, stay well Smokey Dom!

Would be good to see some feedback from users of these shields – I’ll try and get some of shop staff wearing them

1 Like

@phillw,

Here’s my optimised files in .dtd (2D Design) and .dfx
Both on 500x350mm sheet size (I’ll do it for the larger sheets when I get mine next week).

I’ve joined the pieces together and removed the overlapping lines, this means it cuts quicker (as it’s cutting fewer lines) and produces less heat so there’s less chance of the sheet warping.

Hope these help!

Neil.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16br9f1Z9vg3Y4Gto0PPxf3fzNksVJYKC

4 Likes

Hi Neil,
Thanks for sorting a 2D Design file, starting manufacture next week and wanted to see design at home over the weekend.
Thanks to everyone for all support and the great design.

1 Like

Cool – is it two sheets covers 10 shields?

1 Like

You can squeeze another one in, so you get 11 from the two sheets.

1 Like

Hi , I have a denford vl200 400x300 bed . Is that too small for the headband manufacture ?

1 Like

Good work !

In our Lab, we use this model and we can product 600 face shields per day per lasercutting :

1 Like

I am starting production today, ironically my regular work is very busy. Thought I’d post a few thoughts so far.
I got a couple of 0.5mm PP sheets from Kitronic (ordered last weekend), they came rolled up, in a tube, so they are very curly. I don’t have a vacuum bed or anything so have had to come up with a jig to hold the material flat to avoid focus problems. Tried ironing it but it was inconsistent and took too long. I’ll share details of that if anyone would find that useful?

Speed and power for PP took a while to figure out, eventually found low and slow much better than a fast blast. I’m ending up with a small but smooth burr where the material melts back, can’t seem to shake it without creating other issues.

I have had a positive responses from people in healthcare who I already know, but have struggled to get interest when ‘cold calling’. a lot like selling anything (even when you’re doing it for free… to be clear I’m not charging, though have had offers, could be helpful for material costs if volumes go up I suppose)

So my top tip for finding willing takers is to tap up the nurses, doctors, pharmacists, dentists, etc who you already know.

I also wondered if they would be useful for people still working in food shops. My local Sainsburys now has big screens between cashier and customer, but the smaller local and independent shops seem vulnerable. I think the NHS is the priority though.

Good luck everyone

1 Like

Lay PP flat on a surface and leave it to self flatten. If your cutter has the appropriate cutting bed, such a steel honeycomb bed, then use magnets to hold it flat.

I don’t think ironing it is a good idea.

Good luck with this and thank you for the update!

My local maker space, the Nottingham Hackspace (of which I am a co-founder and a current trustee) has launched a GoFundMe campaign to help them fund the cost of the already over 400 face shields and other PPE they’re pumping into the health system in Nottinghamshire.

I’d be super grateful if you’d share the link on your social media, especially if you’re in the Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire area.

Thank you

Dominic Morrow

Folks on Facebook have been asking for a 2D Design version of the file. I don’t have that, but you should be able to use the DXF. If any teacher here would like to share a 2D Design version of the files, please do so.

Good stuff Neil,

Taking a leaf out of your book, I have also optimised to do fewer cuts.
on 3 sheets of 1000x650mm I have got:
Headband = 65
Spacer = 61
Adjuster = 61

Will not get a chance to actually cut these till next week, so they are as yet untested

1 Like

try my dropbox link I have put 2d and dxf, but it is for 1000x650mm. Kitronik is 1000x750mm

If peeps want to send me dxf files I will convert to 2D design

(all you need to do with 2d design is import the dxf file, rather than trying to open it directly, you can then work on it and save it as a 2d design file or re-export it as dxf)

1 Like