Covid 19 laser cut face shield

I know almost nothing about 2D design… teachers can you help @phillw? You should be able to import the DXF and then manipulate the bits and multiply them and lay them all out as you please. There are LOTS of version of the file available Check the other posts and this GIT hub (sorry I also don’t have time to explain GIT hub if you’re unfamiliar) good luck.

Hi @phillw,

I’m using 2D Design and I’ve already converted the files from the DXF and arranged them to fit nicely on the 500x350 sheets from Kitronik. I’ll post them here soon - I left them on my work computer…

1 Like

I’ll also do a version for the 1000x650 sheets - I’ve ordered a load of this as well.

1 Like

Thanks @Smokey and @NeilL

Mathew at re-innovation has put up files for 900x600 sheets on github

better, I’ll see what else crops up or, our HoF may be able to re-jig for me.

Will post up if I get a 1000x650 design

Cheers
Phill

here https://github.com/re-innovation/Face_Visor_PPE

Hi guys,

We’re looking to start producing these ASAP cut a couple of test files already and they seem perfect.

Does anyone know about packaging these up for distribution? I’ve been reading threads which suggest bagging them individually or in small groups and marking the date of producing/bagging so that they can know how long the masks have been sitting before being used as the COVID bacteria can live on plastic for up to 3 days?

Has anyone been bagging these masks?

If so what size bags are people using?

Thanks once again for the files and the support!

Here the 2D Design files I had on my home computer, I’ll upload the optimised ones later.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16br9f1Z9vg3Y4Gto0PPxf3fzNksVJYKC

2 Likes

Hi. What power/speed settings are people using?

The Kitronik recommend power: 22 speed: 70 feels very engravy for me – but I’ve been advised that it’s ‘pretty melty’ so get the idea of the need for speed

P.S. will have an experiment and share results

1 Like

@Dermot every cutter is different. Make sure you have the focal length right. I’ve been running my little Laserbox at 35% speed and 85% power for a good cut. The nottinghack laser (80W) has been going at 50% power with 45% corner and 70mm/s.

1 Like

Brilliant support for us @NeilL thank you so much.

1 Like

@Fred read the FAQ linked above please. I’ve been taking them to the GPs and hospitals in open card boxes, made up with the face shield already on. They seem happy.

DO NOT DELIVER THEM IN BIN BAGS… as that might get confused for used shields.

1 Like

@NeilL brilliant matey, LEGEND!

Any schools on here, if we are posting what is happening on the schools social media, we need a hashtag to show we are all in this together !
a suggestion unless anyone has better?
#Schools4NHS

1 Like

We are all in it together. Hoping I still have a viable business in a few days, so a mention of Smoke&Mirrors, I mend and sell laser cutters, especially for schools, as well as Kitronik, who have been responsible for the design and shipping materials out as fast as they can, they’re also in a super difficult position as a business following the lockdown. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Naturally!!!

Mate, you will get any business we have with laser cutters.

Sorry for not impling that you were not included!
#Schools4NHS
@tweetsnmirrors
@kitronik

1 Like

Thank you for this. They are so much quicker to make than 3D printed one. Great design, thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s super nice and encouraging! So many of my customers say nice things about me in the Facebook groups too and I appreciate it very much.

Anyone got suggested settings for Versalaser 2.30. Cutting well but burning a bit on the underside. I’ve had a play with settings but not getting it exactly as I’d like… either struggles to cut or burns the underside…

1 Like

A lot of that might be down to your honeycomb bed being a bit dirty. I’ve had the same issues on the big laser cutter at my local hackerspace. I increased the speed and downed the power until I hit a sweet spot. It’s no good saying a model or make of cutter, every cutter, regardless of the model will be different. It depends on the age, the cleanliness of the system, the dirt on your bed, how well aligned it is, if there is a U in the day etc etc. Good luck!

I was worried someone might say that… best find a way to clean it or buy a new one?? Do you stock them by any chance?

1 Like

Ok my hamfisted first attempt to fit as many onto 1000x650mm sheet.
(Anyone with better spatial awareness or cad skills, feel free to improve :blush:)

I managed to get 57 headbands, 60 spacers (that the acetate fits onto) and 50 tightening straps onto 3 of these sheets.

About to try some different permutations.

Bugger its 750mm wide… will get on that one tomorrow

link to files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxmhjrl2uwmom32/AACmCBmBgEDjFYhfojYVIF6Ya?dl=0

1 Like