Covid 19 laser cut face shield

I will see what can be done but no promises, sorry.

If you have a lot of outsized clear sheets, then sure you can do that. No we donā€™t have a drawing for it because weā€™ve been buying in A4 sheets as theyā€™re plentiful and cheap and quick with a hole punch.

Personally Iā€™d be nervous about drilling holes into wad of the material unless it was very well jigged and braced, but it sounds like you have the tools and experience so let us know how you get on. If you DO end up drawing the file, Iā€™d be grateful if you share it for the next person here.

Hi all, does this design work with 0.8mm Polyprop., or does anyone have a suitable file?

Thanks!
Aled

1 Like

hello @Aledafis you can use 0.5 or 0.8ā€¦ probably 1mm and itā€™ll all work on the same file. I actually think the design is a little better in 0.8mm than it is in 0.5ā€¦ but a shields a shield. Good luck.

1 Like

Here are the files you requested @sford the folder is big and has lots of different stuff in it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2islfjemux4fhh4/AACKkXIH9SPqUVlYR5lhhxQha?dl=0

the specific folder you want is

Weā€™ve posted files to this GIT hub page.

re-innovation/Face_Visor_PPE

What is the current version - there are files named v0.5, and files named v1 in the dropbox folder, but its not clear what the difference is

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks, thatā€™s great.

Aled

1 Like

Itā€™s a fair question. Our designer says there is no difference. Itā€™s just that the design is out of the design phase and is now consider done.

Ok, thanks for quick reply so congrats on getting to v1. Cutting some tests this afternoon to take to hospital for sign off, then should be firing up our laser cutters in anger !

1 Like

lolā€¦ never cut in angerā€¦ good luck @nick_w

Thankyou so much for sharing this file, what great work you are all doing. Based in Wigan, North West, Iā€™ve just tested this file today on the school laser cutter and itā€™s a great design. Very strong, holds together well and no glueing, foam, rivets etc needed. Just searching for places that are in need as we are ready to cut :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™m heading in to roll up the shutter on our sadly mothballed Makerspace tomorrow

Iā€™ve got an initial batch of 100 plannedā€¦but never used polypropylene before so with start slow!

Looks like a material you could great things with (once this is all over)

P.S. profile pic is me wearing a Delve type shield made from objects found around my house: cover of yearly account, some of that white foam packing (unknown material, possibly EVA?) a dab of hot glue, two staples and some elastic š˜Ž‹ works a treat!

1 Like

Good morning,

I am currently getting great response from this design at local GP level and am working too push this as far as i can in the South Manchester area. I currently have further demand coming in from other places also.

I have been asked about weather the polypropylene would be suitable for disinfectant bathing solutions etc and am exploring this. I was wondering if anybody here has got any official feed back from this design from their GPs they would be able too share as it would allow for more evidence too be built up arround the usefullness of this design.

As it stands i am providing these on a single use only policy too all NHS workers and am making sure that they are aware any re-use of any component is not recommended and if it is done would be at the users own risk. I am currently putting together a small disclaimer form that could be used by all users on here if people may be interested i will share it when i have it ready.

Thought it may be worth asking here if any chemistry boffins are around who would perhaps know more or even know anybody who would be able to legitimately test so we have more people working towards it would be great i am working down every avenue i can and wish you all good luck! And happy lasering!

Also if anybody is in the south Manchester area who can manufacture these i can potentially provide people who need supply if you have not found any yet.

1 Like

https://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/LaserCutCOVID-19_PPE#Laser_Cut_Face_Shield_FAQ

Hello @CrazyArtisan did you check the FAQ? I think it has something about the need for sterilisation. I wouldnā€™t bother with the disclaimer. Youā€™re not going to get sued for trying to help unless youā€™re trying to make money off it? The onus is on the people using it to risk assess. Itā€™s an ad-hoc solution for the emergency situation we are in. Weā€™re sewing socks for the people in the trenches.

The official face shields that the NHS would supply and that are in very short supply right now, canā€™t be sterilised, maybe they can be bathed or wiped or whatever, but they have a foam part which makes them super difficult to re-use. So they go in the bin. These masks should ideally also be one use only, then into the bin. Obviously if medics choose to eek them out, no problem. I understand why these concerns arise.

Iā€™ve been working to NO MASK BAD - A MASK GOOD Iā€™ve been doing this with the backing of several doctors, a surgeon and the logistics/acquisition dept of a University Hospital. They accept the equipment as non-certified. Donā€™t forget to read the FAQ and thank you for your efforts.

both acetate and pp will withstand alcohol.

The masks can be rubbed down or dunked into isopropyl alcohol, ethanol or just even plain old meths.

1 Like

Hi there.

Your files are amazing - I have started using to cut mask.

I only have a 405 x 305 bed so have tweaked the designs to make the best use of material.

I have tried to upload so they can be shared but as iā€™m a new user iā€™m not able to at the moment. Please ask if you want me to send files.

Iā€™ve now uploaded the files to onedrive and shared for all to view:

https://nuneatonacademycouk-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/strout_nuneatonacademy_co_uk/EkX0vQ0ypKhGih7pf2m3_NQBwpStuaRaUtW3QwP_S0t2JA?e=SndiYe

Simon

1 Like

Good to know @phillw

Quick question,
I am waiting for online access to 2d design which our school has a licence for.
I am a relative novice on it :frowning:
We have a decent supply of 1000x650mm pp sheet.
will I be able to modify the dxf to maximise the amount I can cut out? simply having 2x the dxf on the sheet is very wasteful.

Also, using a very crude dxf viewer it looks like all the bits end to end come to 1050mm, am i out on this? Be good if it fitted onto my 1000mm sheets

Cheers
Phill

Good work Simon,

might you be able to answer the questions i posted to smokey a few mins ago.

This is a superb effort by schools, brings a tear to my eye!