Covid 19 laser cut face shield

PLEASE READ THE FAQ HERE BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

FAQ: https://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/LaserCutCOVID-19_PPE

This is the DXF File for laser cutting a Polypropylene (PP) Head Band to attach an A4 clear binder sheet to:
Covid 19 Facemask - V0.5.dxf (164.7 KB)

• NOTE - THIS IS VERSION 0.5 which DOES NOT REQUIRE A FOUR HOLE PUNCH - IT USES A TWO HOLE PUNCH AS PER PICTURE BELOW:

Kitronik Kevin in a prototype:

We have been working with Kitronik to create a laser cut version of the RC1 & RC2 Face Shield for use by at risk, front line medical staff. Due to the scarcity of materials suitable to make an entire face shield in a single laser cut, we’ve adapted a 3D printed design, already accepted by (our local GP alliance &) the NHS in the UK as suitable.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

1. A Laser Cutter with bed greater than A3 300mm x 400mm
2. Polypropylene sheet 0.5mm any colour
3. A4 clear Acetate/PVC binder cover
4. Hole punch with slider for A6 holes (current version needs a 4 hole punch for A4).
5. Clean hands and a way to bag you shields

The shield consists of 2 parts.

1. A Polypropylene (PP) adjustable head band, this is laser cut from 0.5mm polypropylene sheet of ANY COLOUR like this at Kitronik

2. An A4 PVC or Acetate Clear Binder Sheet at least 100 microns thick as used for binders and other publications similar to this on Amazon

Notes about the shield:
The plastic sheet acetate/PVC This DOES NOT need to be laser cut. Use a hole punch on the A6 setting to make holes on either end of the sheet to attach to the polypropylene head band. We will make a set of pictures of a video showing this later.

The above linked sheet are rapidly becoming a low supply item, it is worth searching around the web for something similar from a different supplier or even try your local BIG STATIONARY STORE especially if they have an online dept. Or you could email or call them.

We may be running Zoom conference calls and a SLACK channel soon please DO ask about joining.

IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY HAVE ACCESS TO A LASER CUTTER WE ARE UNABLE TO ARRANGE ACCESS. PLEASE DO NOT TELL US SUCH AND SUCH PLACE HAS A CUTTER. ARRANGE FOR THE LASER CUTTER OWNER TO CONTACT US.

This Dropbox link below contains a zipped version of all files, a DXF laid out with 5 units, as well as Ai and SVG file versions of this face shield.

Face Shields Optimised for laser cutters of around 500mm x 300mm
[500x300] Covid 19 Facemask - V0.5.dxf (499.7 KB)
Face Shields Optimised for A2 cutters around 600mm x 400mm
[600x400] Covid 19 Facemask - V0.5.dxf (591.3 KB)

2 Likes

Hello, Saw this on twitter and keen to do what I can to contribute to the covid effort. Got a couple of sheets of polyprop on order from kitronic, and have some overhead transparencies that should fit the bill, planning to turn out a few and see if local NHS people will accept them, then go for more if they are well received. A few questions:

1. any tips on contacting local NHS services? Will I come across completely insane if I phone them up offering home-made PPE?
  2. You mentioned that cutting polyprop can be tricky - any tips?
  3. any recommendations on hygienic bagging/packaging
  4. you mention wiping down the materials - any particular products/processes that are good for hygiene? I have some isopropyl alcohol on hand for example…

T

1 Like

Hello @greengauge

1. any tips on contacting local NHS services? Will I come across completely insane if I phone them up offering home-made PPE?

Not really. Sounds like you’re on twitter… look out for what being asked by local GP clinics. These shields are good for front line staff there, as yet hospitals will want something certified probably. Our contacts are for Nottingham City only and they anticipate a big demand next week.

2. You mentioned that cutting polyprop can be tricky - any tips?
It is different to acrylic, MDF and ply. I’ve not cut any for a while. Do some experiments and let us know how you get on.

3. any recommendations on hygienic bagging/packaging
Yes. I asked about this and it’s answered in the FAQ which I think you’ve read. I’m adding to that all the time.
https://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/LaserCutCOVID-19_PPE#Laser_Cut_Face_Shield_FAQ

Q. What anti-contamination process should we follow?
A. Wash your hands, wipe down the material before cutting. Wear a mask if you have one, or one of the shields. One of our RAMC/NHS contacts said "Regarding Anti contamination: The theoretical risk is that one of you doing this work has viral particles/droplets on your hands as you handle the product as it’s being manufactured. Or indeed it has been supplied to you already in this state. We have some evidence of persistence of infectious particles remaining on surfaces for prolonged times. (I’m sure that is exactly why you are asking the question by the way). So what? In reality, the visor acts to protect the wearer from droplets/aerosols and splashes emanating from a patient’s airways. the wearer therefore will already be utilising precaution (hand washing/gloves/correct procedures etc so my opinion is that risk is very low and becomes theoretical rather than real when one judges risk/benefit to the wearer, the patient and subsequent patients.

4. you mention wiping down the materials - any particular products/processes that are good for hygiene? I have some isopropyl alcohol on hand for example…
Yes that will probably be fine or with an anti-bacterial wipe or some flash or something like that. As per the answer above, it’s not a major concern.

Please look out for a revised file… this current DXF has the hole spaces out for an A4 four hole punch we’re changing the design to match the 3D printed RC3 design which uses an two hole hole punch set to the A6 paper setting then flipped.

1 Like

Also following. We have a Trotec Speedy 300 at the school I work in, plus we already have Kitronik polypropylene and lots of binder covers.
Just need to verify local need and negotiate access to the locked down DT department.

1 Like

@richjmaynard

Look out for an improved version of the DXF soon which doesn’t need a 4 hole punch, it uses a 2 hole like the RC3 3D printed version from PRUSA https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/26241-face-shield-a4-binding-sheet-easy-punching-rc1-and

We’re trying to keep all the parts universal.

Hi, I would love to help. We have a Trotec speedy 300 and a large workshop where we could easily create a large hygienic workspace for this separate from any other operations.

The FAQs say “We must ensure that all visors come from COVID-19 free areas”. Does this mean if we’re in London (obviously an affected area), we can’t help? I presume most areas now are affected, or will be affected in the very near future.

1 Like

Thanks for all this Rich. Have got in touch with some people locally including a nurse I know in a Bristol Hospital.

Re hole-punching, some 2-hole punches have a guide that allows you to punch the top two then flip the sheet over and punch the other two, so a 4-hole punch is not essential. My 2-hole punch didn’t have this setting on the slide but it was an easy hack to modify the guide to give the appropriate offset.

1 Like

The FAQs say “We must ensure that all visors come from COVID-19 free areas”. Does this mean if we’re in London (obviously an affected area), we can’t help?

Ah, no I meant… if you’ve got sick people in the workshop, then no thanks.

Look out for an improved DXF later today. The one I have posted isn’t ideal as the lugs aren’t in the same place as for a popular 3D printed version, and our current version 0.3 requires a 4 hole hole punch.

Understood. I found it a faff to try and match the holes from a bigger 4 hole punch to a 2 hole punch on the A6 setting and want our version to match the popular and accepted PRUSA RC3 version that is being printed en-mass (including by me).

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/26241-face-shield-a4-binding-sheet-easy-punching-rc1-and

OK cool - I think the A6 offset is different to the A4x4. spacing for 2x A6 is a more elegant solution than cutting the end off the guide as I have gust done!

Can you call it something else please. New V0.4 just gone up and this isn’t that version. I don’t mind a different version here… but want some consistency.

This is the DXF for Version 0.4
Covid 19 Facemask - V0.4.dxf (166.0 KB)

Sorry if that was confusing, trying to help… have deleted that post. I noticed yours has the middle lugs a little closer together which is probably better anyway.

1 Like

Is there a UK equivalent of masks4humanity?

https://masks4humanity.org/

If not, perhaps we should start one

1 Like

@richjmaynard There are certainly a lot of separate efforts to organise. Here are a couple I’ve come across.

and

https://www.3dcrowd.uk/ (doesn’t preview for some reason).

For my part, I’ve found myself organising the 3D printed offerings of the Nottingham Hackspace members as well as organising locally and in a wider sense on this project. I’ve used up all my bandwidth so I’m not looking to start a UK wide organisation. If YOU do, I’ll liaise my efforts into it.

Not at all, I appreciated it.

Made a video about this.

Could High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS) vacuum forming sheets be used instead of the PP?

1 Like

Hello @Thackett976 no idea, are you going to try? I suspect it’s too brittle…

I’ll give it a go. It’s all I have in school and i’m not sure I’d be able to source PP.

Kitronik are still shipping.