Covid 19 laser cut face shield

I clean after cutting as there is a fair bit of dust on them from the pp. Pulling them through a damp dishcloth works fine for me.

I spend a couple of days cutting, to build up a stock of cut pieces. In between I am cutting up the PVC to A4, we have ‘requisitioned’ the repro hole punch (shhh, they don’t know yet) which will punch through up to 5 sheets easily.
Big pair of scissors and we can round the edges off 3 sheets at a time.

I’d like to optimise my files but, they are fast enough and my 2d design skills are woefully short.
(on that note, are you using the V shaped variation on the adjuster strap? if so, have you got a file in non-dxf format that I could use, my attempts to load this into lasercut software does not work, the V’s do not appear in the imported file?)

We have a team of 4 in for 1/2 a day, properly socially distanced we have: one chopping/punching PVC, one putting headband and standoff together, one adding the adjuster and one adding the PVC.

The chopper/puncher then keeps checking social media / email and does bagging and labeling.
We aren’t bothering with the top parts, no-one has asked for them.

I am celebrating the whole:
Government; “oooh a nasty virus, what do we do?”, runs around in circles, waving hands in air.
General public: “Hold our beers, we’ve got this”

I really hope this is a turning point for the whole way global manufacturing works, pay a bit more, have it made local, less emissions, less of a problem when something like this happens.

@Smokey - we have shipped >1500 in just over 2 weeks, getting the stuff for 2000 more.

1 Like

Has anyone had any luck sourcing acetate sheets thicker than 150 microns at the moment?

I’ve purchased some of the 150 but I’d rather make them thicker if this is what is preferred.

Is anyone finding that the acetate is static / attracting a lot of dust, and how are you dealing with this?

Also, how is everyone dealing with charring on the underside of the PP (where it touches the honeycomb)? I’ve been masking the underneath but this is extra work and perhaps a waste of transfer tape too!

Thanks!

I’ve been using 200 - 240 microns but I’ve not heard of any issues or concerns about 150.

We’ve been using a compressor to blow dust off before bagging the shields up. We bag them in bags of 26.

I’ve had concerns about scoring and dirty on light PP from the honeycomb. I was worried medics would assume the visors were dirty and therefore dispose of them as not clean! However we’ve not had reports of this.

Generally though we’ve avoided buying light colours.

The backing tape is a good idea but wow a lot of extra work.

That is great news, have you submitted to Life Science Wales?
Do you have a website for your efforts? We are based in Mid Wales and trying to get approval here.

We have expanded the documentation on the Kitronix design for our local group and thought this might be useful for others. Open for comments, please add on any additional approvals from health boards/hospitals you have received or any other suggested tweaks.

Hiya, and welcome.

There has been discussion on here: General discussion - LASER CUT PPE/FACE SHIELDS

General chat is over on that board.

Concensus is we don’t need approvals, if people want them we will supply them.
We are struggling to keep up with demand here!