Covid 19 laser cut face shield

Greeting from New Jersey… Have joined your group in the last 12 hours. I obtained layouts etc… obtain info on metric and inch conversions… Not sure if I can cut polypropylene as I have always used plexiglass. Have a CO2 laser at 60 watts size about 700 x 500 MM made by Epilog Laser. Wonder if anyone has info or help. I have no problems setting machine on metric but the poly/plex is confusing.

Jerry Emdur
jemdur

1 Like

I think what you call plexiglass is what we’d call acrylic. Plexi/Acrylic is a very thick, strong material compared to polypropylene sheet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene

PP is a common plastic, it’s less commonly used in laser cutters, but your Epilog won’t struggle with it. The problem you might have is sourcing it. We chose to use it as we had stacks of it on hand.

I am sure sheets are available in Philadelphia area. Not sure if they stock 1/16 or less (MM). We also have the sheet sizes which must be different. 12 x 24 inch standard size or multiples. just reworking layouts to produce seven of two parts and six of the larger one… but have to check major suppliers in area in morning. thanks again.

1 Like

https://www.professionalplastics.com/POLYPROPYLENESHEETSRODS

0.03 inch is ~0.76mm

Can I possibly have this in DXF format please?
Thankyou

Here ya go

1 Like

Thankyou so much for this @TROUTY53. Much appreciated. I will be working on this after the Easter break, waiting for materials and clearance from the head.

@phillw, just wondering if your NE coordinator/contact ever got back to you re: Bradford area?

Hi,
I was not a hospital contact, turned out it was a chief exec of an academy chain, only stretching as far south as Co Durham, sorry.

This of any use to you?
https://www.bradford.gov.uk/browse-all-news/press-releases/praise-for-schools-making-ppe/

Thanks! I’ll see if I can get in touch with anyone there.

HI PHIL… sorry to keep sending you e-mails. Material also hard to obtain PA/New York / New Jersey since we seem to be the hot spot in the USA. Back to step one as my playing around with files don’t work. I have material I am suppose to get on Friday which is 12 x 24 (610 x 305) in black. This is the .031 to .035 inch thick (.787 to .889), I have a DXF file that I imported to coreldraw V7 (2017). I have a little waste on the sheet but decided not to change the original DXF file. I only import and the group the entire image. This is the five up version:

500 X 300 COVID19 MASK -V.05.DXF

I import and then save as V7 Coreldraw. I use EngraveLab 10 and some CDR from 2016/2017. I decided to keep all programs in metric and match the clear face mask with your metric spacing.

Since I had to group the original file from DXF to CDR… did I loose anything. Also, I think the ideal was is for me to cut all the thru holes and thru slots and then do the of the parts for good alignment.

The black POLYPRO .031 to .034 inch and at a very fair cost. The do have other materials thinner but they come off rolls.
Will try cutting from the original DXF imported to CorelDraw 7 all in metric. I am not sure how to cut the all slots/holes first and then continuous the outside perimeter without machine jumping around.

If you desire… you can e-mail me direct thru jemdur@verizon.net

Thanks again.

Hi Jemdur,

I don’t know the specifics of the programs you are using, but I also found after my initial tests that I very much wanted to cut all the holes and tabs before cutting the outsides of the pieces (even still I have found some corners that jump a bit at the end and the tension releases). Especially if you intend to stack the pieces and not double cut edges. The way I achieved this on my setup was to make all the internal bits one colour and then do the outline in a second colour (my software works on colours as different operations) and then set them both to the same power and speed, but make sure that I do the internals first and then the externals. Then I allow the SW to do its own optimization after that.

Hope this didn’t just confuse the issue. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Geeves and Phil…

I am attaching or sending the program with the five piece layout set. I am using CORELDRAW V7… I have changed the program to metric and opened the DXF file. I then changed or grouped the internal items and then grouped the five individual identical inside parts into one group. This was the items the hole the clear face mask. I also grouped the bottom five straps internal cuts with the small circles on each end of the piece. The I grouped these five into a set. I moved all the internal groups (2) off to the far right… then I grouped only the perimeter of the 15 pieces. then I moved all back into position and saved the file which is corel draw V7 or then call it version 2017. Going back downstairs the try another test cut. file called NEWX6.DXFNEWX6.dxf (916.8 KB) … THANKS ALL JERRY

1 Like

Hi Jerry, will have a look in a bit, or in the morning, knackered after a solid 9 hour cutting session today,
The files uploaded this time!

Stay healthy mate.

Hi Phill…

Decided to try again with color mapping.

Attached is NEWX10D.CDR for version 17 or V7 of Coreldraw.

I have added six or seven colors to do color mapping.

Program is set in MM… the 36EXT is set in MM.

I get most of the color mapping done, but I was trying to do the black five large pieces in stop right with the idea of changing this from black to another color but can not do…

Also the bottom yellow seems to work but the five cuts also give me a problem. I have them all grouped and move off to the right of the sheet. The individual cut is made of two circles and then the curve half line which is about five segments. I can not change this to a color. I was able to move the two end circles away… and somehow changed to orange without filling the inside of each circle.

I see you have the same problem I have with the curves/two circles. I sent the same file and maybe the manufacturer also could help.

I think I mentioned that many of the items (20%) in the drawing was not hairlines about .229 or .709 MM thick. so I changed them to hairlines. I will try to get Corel 19 as 2020 is not a yearly fee of $250 dollars per year in the US.

Anyway… it is 4:30 AM and I need to go to sleep…

Jerry

NEWX10D.dxf (929.1 KB)

Hi Jerry, you can download a fully functional trial of corel, active for 15 days!!

Could I have a copy of this please?

Luke’s files are in here:

and here

Hi, any Top Cap .dtd 2D Design version 2 available please? Local hospital wants dsmples of both standard and capped face masks.
Thanks

If Dermot does not get back to you I will convert it to 2d tonight, should be up by about 4:30pm
Cheers
Phill