Covid 19 laser cut face shield

Here you go Lee

There is a sheet that has:
10 Headbands
12 standoffs
12 adjuster straps

The 24H sheet has 25 headbands on it to make up the shortfall on the other.

Most of ours have been going out multicoloured, we reckoned it fitted with the draw a rainbow for the NHS theme :grin: :man_shrugging:

Phil, you absolute legend…thanks mate.

I await the PP and will then get cracking. Just emailing the local care homes and GP practices now to see who wants what.

Hi Phil
I’m having a bit of trouble with the dxf files. I can’t import them into Corel Do you have them as svg by any chance?
Sorry and thank you so much.

Trying to convert them, bear with me!

1 Like

Lee, tell them to pass on the info if they are useful to them… you will be suprised how big the jungle telegraph is out there!

1 Like

Ok, as requested by Smokey, I am about to load all the relevant files that I have to the new thread:

You can get them all there, check this thread if you have requested files and do not yet have them.
Sililarly, if you have requests, please post them there.

Holly, I have downloaded a 15 day free trial of Corel 2020, if you open a new (A3) corel document then from the file menu ‘import’, they seem to import OK.

I have put corel files in the link I just posted, any probs, let me know.

Hi, This is coming out very large in Inkscape (220 x 104mm) – do you have the width and height dims and I’l scale it before cutting

EDIT: that looks like the right size (Illustrator which is our print driver (!) was scaling it up from that)

Hello All,

i’ve got a modification to the adjustable strap I think is worth sharing.
It speeds up cutting time by 26% , let me know where to upload the file if you think it useful.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Luke, that does look useful and may get me around the problem I may have with using thicker pp and it welding itself back together.

Check your DMs in a minute, I have somewhere you can upload it so that Smokey et al can download it and trial it!

1 Like

That’s a nice idea. Someone in my group also pointed out that, for assembly (we’re sending ours out made up) that because we have a big A0 cutter, we could have the spacer and the adjuster on one piece.

I will talk to Sean about these tomorrow and see if he fancies adding some of these ideas to the official file. maybe we can have a version 1.1

Smokey

Brilliant stuff, thanks

Greeting from New Jersey… Have joined your group in the last 12 hours. I obtained layouts etc… obtain info on metric and inch conversions… Not sure if I can cut polypropylene as I have always used plexiglass. Have a CO2 laser at 60 watts size about 700 x 500 MM made by Epilog Laser. Wonder if anyone has info or help. I have no problems setting machine on metric but the poly/plex is confusing.

Jerry Emdur
jemdur

1 Like

I think what you call plexiglass is what we’d call acrylic. Plexi/Acrylic is a very thick, strong material compared to polypropylene sheet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene

PP is a common plastic, it’s less commonly used in laser cutters, but your Epilog won’t struggle with it. The problem you might have is sourcing it. We chose to use it as we had stacks of it on hand.

I am sure sheets are available in Philadelphia area. Not sure if they stock 1/16 or less (MM). We also have the sheet sizes which must be different. 12 x 24 inch standard size or multiples. just reworking layouts to produce seven of two parts and six of the larger one… but have to check major suppliers in area in morning. thanks again.

1 Like

https://www.professionalplastics.com/POLYPROPYLENESHEETSRODS

0.03 inch is ~0.76mm

Can I possibly have this in DXF format please?
Thankyou

Here ya go

1 Like

Thankyou so much for this @TROUTY53. Much appreciated. I will be working on this after the Easter break, waiting for materials and clearance from the head.

@phillw, just wondering if your NE coordinator/contact ever got back to you re: Bradford area?

Hi,
I was not a hospital contact, turned out it was a chief exec of an academy chain, only stretching as far south as Co Durham, sorry.

This of any use to you?
https://www.bradford.gov.uk/browse-all-news/press-releases/praise-for-schools-making-ppe/