Leetro Laser control doesn't power up

Hi All, I’m trying to get this laser back up and running after it packed up whilst running a few months ago. When powered up you can hear the fans on the power supply turn on but the control panel doesn’t turn on or machine reference. I have tried another control panel and main board.

I have noticed that one of the M420 Drivers doesn’t have a light on. If this driver has failed would this likely stop the control panel from starting up?

I do have some spare drivers i could try if they are suitable? I would just need to figure out what to do with the PUL, DIR & +5V wires as the DM422 has + and - inputs?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

IMG_3601(2)
I can only add 1 image per post as a new user so some other images that may be of use

M420 driver

Spare DM422 driver

I’m not sure if I’ve misunderstood what you are asking… but

This machine doesn’t have a controller. I can see the empty spot where it should be on the right hand side of the picture, where all the green connector plugs are sat and the USB cable. The black serial type cable coming down is for the pad03 controller pad, which won’t ever come on without the actual controller being present.

Or are you saying you’ve swapped it out. Have you tried testing the power supplies (those two silver things) for their output? You need 24v DC for the leetro controller. I don’t think that those sort of switching power supplies have fans, so I’m not sure which fan you are talking about, other than the one at the back of the machine, which might be powered off the mains.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that photo was taken in between swopping the control board. The power supply fan that comes on is on the other side of the machine.
I haven’t checked the output on the power supplies but I have have swopped the cables going in to the drivers with each other and it is still the same one which fails to light up which led me to think one of the driver’s to be faulty? Do you think the spare drivers(DM422) I have could be used as a replacement for the M420?
Thanks
Jed

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that photo was taken in between swopping the control board. The power supply fan that comes on is on the other side of the machine.

makes more sense now, you didn’t seem that crazy! The power supply on the other side of the machine is the high voltage psu to power your co2 tube (I’d think), so it sounds like that area of the machine is getting power.

I haven’t checked the output on the power supplies but I have have swopped the cables going in to the drivers with each other and it is still the same one which fails to light up which led me to think one of the driver’s to be faulty?

Sounds likely.

Do you think the spare drivers(DM422) I have could be used as a replacement for the M420?

You’d need to check the data sheets but yes, you could probably use the DM422 for now, at least to get to a point of testing.

I’d use a simple multi-meter to test the power output of your DC power supplies to see if you are getting an output for the Leetro main board. Its rare for a main board to not power on at least…

(note, I’m not talking about the High Voltage PSU with the fan you mentioned, that provides very high voltage for your tube and it would be dangerous to test the voltage output).

The power supply was indeed faulty. Changed that for a spare I had and the control panel is now powered up. The axis didn’t reference when first turned on like it used and the X axis isn’t powered like the Y. LED on that axis still not lit so guess the driver is faulty? I think most of connections are labelled up to try the spare DM442 I have but just not sure where the PUL, DIR & +5v go from the M420 as the DM has + and - options on the PUL & DIR?

The top image is my current driver and below is the replacement i’d like to try. I’ve marked the obvious one on the right but not so sure on the remaining three wires. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I’m not sure what you are asking here, I mean I know you are asking how to wire the stepper drivers. I don’t understand the photo you’ve sent. I don’t know where those wires go.

You’d need to look at the data sheets for both stepper drivers and make sure you’re wiring them up correctly. The best option would be to replace like for like on the drivers (they’re like £40) generally that’s what I’d do or I’d follow the data sheets to make sure I’m getting the wiring right.

There is so much help I can be given on the forum, but in this case, data sheets is the answer. Good luck.

Rabbit laser in the USA has a very good page for manuals which include wiring diagrams for the controllers.

https://rabbitlaserusa.com/ManualsTutorials.html

Wiring diagrams can be found for Leetro controllers with a quick google search, they vary but generally the wiring is the same or similar between models. I did notice a relay board on your cutter so it’s worth bearing in mind that this will likely be managing your e-stop and other controls.