Laser cutting 1% oversize

So, when I ask my cutter to cut a 400m square, it comes out 404mm wide.

The front-panel display suggests the laser thinks it is cutting at 400mm, so I think this is a settings problem in the Ruida controller.

In Lightburn, if I go to Edit / Machine Settings and expand ‘X axis settings’, I can see
Step length (um) : 8.965

And similarly for the Y axis I see
Step length (um): 4.476

I presume that’s the source of the problem, and I should set those to a value that is cunningly calculated from

• Steps per revolution
  • Microstepping factor
  • Pulley tooth count
  • Belt tooth spacing

Before I go find all those facts, I’d be interested to know if there were conventional values for these step lengths that would save me the trouble.

Ta!
R.

Just done some measuring, spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YRT-U1aTXw5LR80Vh7ZdEXB9ObUfCnn3PZG7hBUiQaQ/edit#gid=0

I presume it just inherited some old, bad settings from someone calibrating it empirically. Will try the new settings and report back.

… That fixed it. microns/step is now 9 for x and 4.5 for y, and things come out the right size.

GOK how the bad number got there, but I blame Previous Owner.

Anyhow, working it out from first principles wasn’t too hard. I had to

• measure 10 tooth-spacings on the belt, which was a nice round 30mm, so it is 3mm belt.
  • Read the DIP switch on the stepper drivers and look up the steps/rev in the table printed on the driver.
  • Count the teeth on a belt pulley (mark one with Sharpie, then pull on the head to rotate it, counting as I went.

R.

Hello Richard

That’s a good bit of detective work. I spoke with Oz at lightburn who made the alternative suggestion to fix this in software (more of a workaround for the less mechanically minded) who suggested checking the vendor settings in Lightburn via Edit/Machine Settings/Read (then checking and fudging the settings) and then Write.

Another article I saw that might help others in this situation was this one on the Lightburn forum which runs through checking Absolute Co-ordinates

Not the fix that was needed but perhaps helpful for those looking at this thread but with different issues.

Dominic