General discussion - LASER CUT PPE/FACE SHIELDS

Nice one Smokey :grinning:

Good to see some recognition go in the right direction.

Well done mate.

If anyone is struggling for clear plastic for face shields, I have a contact. DM me!!

Hi All,
Firstly let me say a BIG Thank you for the initial support I received and for the original Design from Kitronik and Smoke and Mirrors, I didn’t alter the design apart from to optimise for my laser cutter. On every bag of Faceshields I sent out we sent a sticker on it to Thank Kitronik and Smoke and Mirrors for their Design…So Thank you for starting the laser cutter face shield (as the stop-gap solution that was needed).
I cut my first Face Shield on April 6th and joined forces with 2 other Laser cutters soon after (small team of 11 emerged), originally I was working at school - 1 day, soon realised I needed to take it home to increase production fast. In total we have sent out 4012 Face Shields to 100 different places and raised just over ÂŁ6000 for material costs and Laser Cutter services, any remainder will be donated to other good causes.
Over the last Week the drop in demand has reduced considerably and stopped cutting last week. We initially followed up on first requests to see if they were Ok and some needed more, which we supplied, most were fine. Last weekend we got another request for 500 as a big care home had been asking for donations to buy Face Shields at ÂŁ15.00, I told them I could provide them with free ones instead and shown them the image, which they were very grateful for.
When I have to go back to school and take the laser cutter back I may be looking to purchase one for myself, any ideas (not too big).
Thank again…for an amazing journey and being able to help out when it was needed! (The Big Boys can take over now)
Nicole x

2 Likes

What part of the world Nicole?

We have shifted 1500 in the Durham area, and have ability for 2500 more. We are not the only school shifting them either!

Leicestershire, first post on Facebook created 1500 requests in 2 days, then gradual now Big Boys caught up with “proper” CE markings etc…
There have been a few schools doing them too…a great quick stop-gap solution!
Nix

1 Like

Where in Leics? I used to teach in Mkt Harborough.

Leics Grammar managed to enlist a companies laser cutters!

1 Like

Anstey in Leics. I work as a Design Technician at Martin High School. X

2 Likes

Thank you so much, this is great! You’re quite local to me too, Smoke & Mirrors are in Nottingham!

You’re welcome. I thought our work was done but our Trust I work for (schools) have just asked us to make 1000 face shields for when the staff (eventually) go back!! I guess I may hit the 5000 mark!!

1 Like

We’ve had a new request for “out door face shields” here in Nottingham. They’re for the testing team at our hospital, they work in the car park, like a drive-thru setup. They want something that will deal with wind, rain and sunshine. We’re working something up over the next week. We will very likely post something up next week. Would love to hear ideas and comments!

1 Like

I have just had the same request Nichole!

Smokey, just some off the top of my head thoughts.
The designed top piece obvs
Need some way of holding the bottom of the shield, a strap around the neck, could just be string/fabric tape.
The waterproof headpiece needs to be ‘designed’ from polythene sheet. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

We had requests for about 450 shields today: the bulk to supported accommodation, some to a food bank, a free to a charity that provides meals to homeless people

2 Likes

Nice one @Dermot.
We shipped 350 today.

2 Likes

We’re still mopping up small requests of 50 here 300 one-off there. We were providing some 250 - 350 (520 odd on our best) per day to the hospital (made up not flat pack) though, so as you can imagine from some 1500 or more a week to 0 on our biggest “customer” is a significant drop off.

2 Likes

Yes, we’re taking your experience as an indicator – not rushing to order more materials for example. Nice to bring things down a gear…and see what’s next…

1 Like

Hi Phiiw…

Just heading to sleep, but made progress the last few days. Obtained plexiglass sheets clear with clear tape on both sides. Cut face shields getting ten pieces from 24 x 48 inch. Two sources make same item but the .020 is better than the.030 thick material. Cost is about $2.00 each US. Can laser four with 4 holes in under 3 minuets. My black PP still leave hot spots and/or burn marks… so I have this film which I used to protect brass engraving stock. Mfg sells brass and aluminum in US with a protective film with a very light tack or glue… I have two rolls of 12 inch material x 200 yards in stock. Decided to place on front and back of PP before cutting parts. Needs a little more power but results eliminates most of the marking or burning on the PP edges…
If you need the face shield program…layout… I can forward … good morning … Jerry

HI Folks,

The polypropylene shield is a fantastic design with high yield from the raw material so well done to Sean Drummond and the team for that! Does anyone know if the design has been CE certified? We’ve been told that its Category III PPE and the testing required might be challenging for the shield. Just wondering if anyone else has had this testing done already?

Thanks everyone!

Martin

Hello @Marty

Does anyone know if the design has been CE certified? We’ve been told that its Category III PPE and the testing required might be challenging for the shield.

Absolutely not. It’s an ad-hoc emergency stand-in. It’s not intended as a certified product. In my part of the UK (Nottingham). Demand for the face shield from hospitals, clinics and the like, is now 0. This is great news. The Nottingham University Hospital Trust, who at the height of the crisis had about 5000 shields from me, have reverted to kite-marked shields.

I’m not sure that applying a CE mark or any other form of certification for this ad-hoc solution is appropriate or necessary, especially as every shield I made, I gave away for free on the understanding that it was an ad-hoc emergency solution. One step up from taping OHP sheets to someones face.

Hi @Smokey,
That is clear and helpful, thank you very much. It was a question from the private business sector about the design. I will relay that if they want a certified visor design then this is not the one for them. That is clear and helpful, thank you very much.
Best regards,
Martin

Don’t get me wrong @Marty, I think if someone wanted to do that they could do it. I just think it’s a waste of time myself. The design should be consider CC by SA and not for commercial use.

Though I think Kitronik have the best claim, seeing as Sean was on their payroll at the time.

1 Like

Hi Marty,

I don’t think anyone has done any certification of it. It was a response to a chronic shortage.

Don’t know anything about categories, its a face shield and its better than not having one, especially if you have the likes of dementia patients spitting at you!

2 Likes